Thursday, February 19, 2009

Seasoned Oyster Crackers

I did a search because I thought I had posted the oyster crackers recipe here earlier, but apparently not, I had only posted a promise to post. So here's the recipe :

One bottle butter flavored popcorn oil : This is Orville Redenbacher's, and I think it is an 8oz.

two packages (large) of oyster crackers. (I prefer the small crackers over the large ones).

one package of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (the kind you add buttermilk to, not the kind you add milk to).

Lemon & Pepper seasoning
Garlic
Black pepper


Mix up butter flavored popcorn oil & Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, stir in well. Mix in your preferred amounts of garlic & lemon & pepper seasonings, plus the black pepper to taste Stir in well.

Put the oyster crackers into a large bowl, big enough for you to stir the oyster crackers (with your hands, so you don't break the crackers up) once the oil is on it. Pour oil over the crackers, stir up well, and let rest for ten to twenty minutes.

Oven needs to be set to low. I put it to 250 degrees. You do not want the crackers to brown up too much or get too crisp. Put the crackers in a pan with sides, and try to get the layer as flat as possible, so the crackers are not resting on top of each other.

Stir every ten minutes. Bake at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes. Bake longer for more brownness.

Also, I often scatter more lemon & pepper seasoning on the top of the baking crackers or even more garlic powder, to make sure they have enough flavor.

I do think the secret to this recipe is to stir often, so that they get baked well, and there's no oiliness.

If you can not find butter flavored popcorn oil, get an equivalent amount of oil, and add butter flavoring to it (approx. one teaspoon. You should be able to smell a light odor of butter coming off the oil).

Variations : Parmesan cheese, other spices. Many recipes similar to this call for dill. Dill is not my favorite herb, but I did put it in the dish last time & liked it, so a mild scattering of Dill can be a very nice addition.

Cooks.com has the lemon pepper & the garlic at a 1/4 tsp. They have Dill at 1/2 tsp. I would actually reverse this & put only 1/4 tsp of the dill & 1/2 of the other two spices. Also, since I have two packages of the oyster crackers going (or even two boxes) you can double the Cook's Recipe, and then increase the seasoning as the oyster crackers bake. Taste the oyster crackers as they warm up & start to brown, and I think you'll get a sense of what they need.

Enjoy!

No comments: