Saturday, March 15, 2008

Adventures with Brussel Sprouts

I think the recipe itself turned out pretty well although the blogger I got it from is right that the sprouts started turning a little black. I suspect the oven heat is turned up too high. Can't say I really liked the brussel sprouts too much, since soft vegetables are not my favorite. And the slightly sulphric smell of the sprouts as they cooked is also not my favorite. My off-hand impression is that far more women like this dish than men do.

But I'm glad I tried it. I would like to try it out on my parents, because I think they would really like this recipe. Next trial will be to eat some Kohlrabi, which sounds interesting. The recipe I tried for the sprouts is below:

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook

- serves 6 -

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Procedure
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. (Kim's notes here: I have a gas oven, that may account for the difference, but in retrospect, I would drop the heat to 350. Also, I started the sprouts in a sauteing pan, which can also go into the oven).

Cut off the ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any outer leaves. (someone suggested cutting the sprouts in half. I did this & I like this much better)

Toss them in a bowl (or right on the baking sheet) to coat evenly with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Turn them onto a baking sheet and roast for 35-40 minutes, until crisp
outside and tender inside. Shake the pan from time to time for even browning. Sprinkle with more kosher salt and serve. (Can also sprinkle with parmesan cheese to dress it up a little.)

No comments: